Ever felt that reading your email inbox is like taking an eye exam? Did you know you can make the font size as large as you’d like with a few clicks?
Why struggle when you can easily adjust all the emails in your inbox! It’s now simpler than you might imagine.
Adjusting all emails received using Chrome browser
Chrome is by far the most used browser in which to view emails (Gmail, etc) and it provides the most flexibility in terms of font sizes, so we’ll start here. (If you prefer to change directly in Gmail or use Outlook, you’ll find instructions in the next sections of this post.)
- On your computer, open your email program like Gmail or Yahoo.
- Now click on the vertical three dots on the Chrome bar (see blue arrow in upper right corner on the image below). This will reveal a drop-down menu.
3. Find “Zoom” on the drop-down menu. (See blue arrow on image below).
4. The default should be 100%. Tap the “+” to increase the font size to the desired amount. Here are what 100% (default) and 150% look like for the view of the inbox:
To close the drop-down menu, just tap some white space not on the drop-down menu.
And when you open an individual email, here is what the difference looks like with the default 100% and 150%:
5. If at any time you want to reset the font size, simply go back into the vertical three dots menu, scroll down to “Zoom” and choose the percentage desired.
Steps to change your default text size directly in Gmail (without changing Chrome)
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings. (See Settings “wheel” circled below.)
- Choose the box at the very top of the drop down called “See all settings”.
- Scroll down to the ‘Default text style’ section.
- Change the font size to your desired option. There are only 4 options here.
- Don’t forget….at the very bottom of the page, click “Save changes”.
Changing email font size using Outlook
Outlook is Microsoft’s version of email, and if this is the program you use, follow these steps to change the font size:
To change the zoom level for a single message
Use the slider at the bottom right of the Reading pane (see blue arrow on image below) to adjust your zoom level. As you adjust, the text size in the Reading Pane will increase or decrease. You can actually increase this enormously (handy if you misplace your reading glasses…)
Here is what the same email looks like at 150%:
To change the zoom level on all received messages
- You can now change the zoom level on all received messages. Click the percentage to the right of the Zoom slider to open the Zoom window.
- Select one of the default options or enter a specific percentage number.
- To apply this zoom level to all messages, check the Remember my preference check box and then click OK.
We hope you enjoy reading through your emails now that you’ve got them at the right size for you. If you know anyone who could also benefit from this tip, why not share the post with them? You can easily do so by copying the address bar at the top of the page and pasting it into an email or text to your friend or family member.