What if your smartphone or computer could automatically track prices and alert you when an item you want has had a price drop? This is already possible now using the technology you already have. If you already have access to Chrome browser ,you may be able to take advantage of this today (without adding any further apps). Here’s how…
Using Chrome’s Price Tracker
Save money and time as you shop
Track the price of a product across several online stores at once. You’ll get an email if the price drops on any site so you can buy when the price is right for you. This feature is available when you’re signed in.
- Open Chrome browser on your desktop or smartphone.
- Go to your chosen online store and find a product you want to track.
- Click Track price (the bell icon) in the address bar.
- Click Track price to start tracking the item. Price drop emails will go to the Google Account you’re signed into.
- To stop tracking a product, click Tracking price in the address bar, then Untrack.
- You can track the same or similar product across websites, which can be helpful if the item is carried by multiple online retailers and you want to make sure you don’t miss a promotional price on one or more of them.
Manage Tracked Products
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- To the right of the address bar, click Side panel .
- From the down-arrow, select Bookmarks.
- Click Tracked products .
- Scroll to find the product you want to check.
- To untrack a product, tap Turn off alerts .
Tip from Chrome: Notifications about price tracking include multiple sellers. However, when you track a product from a website, the price and image from that site are the only ones shown in Tracked products.
If you don’t find the Track price icon on your address bar, first verify you are running the current version of Chrome. You can go to Settings and update just to be sure.
Next make sure your Web and App activity is switched on. Instructions to do so on your computer, Android or iOS device are here.
Finally, check your Sync option is on. In the address bar type chrome://settings/syncSetup and press Enter.
Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. There you should be able to find Get price tracking notifications. (If you don’t see it, check under Settings > You and Google.)
Toggle “Get price tracking notifications” to ON.
If you still don’t see the option to turn tracking on, bear in mind that the service is being rolled out and may not yet be available to you. It would be worth checking back in a few weeks.
Ready to subscribe to get updates automatically to your inbox? Simply input your email address and hit “Submit”, and you’ll get your first update next week.